After much discussion and careful consideration of current CDC and state guidelines and consistory protocols, we have decided to resume in-person Sunday school for preschool (3 years old thru pre-k), elementary (K thru 5th grade), and middle school (6th thru 8th grade) students on August 2nd for the 9:40 hour only. Due to difficulty maintaining social distancing and face mask use with two-year-olds, we will not have a toddler/two-year-old class at this time and will revisit resuming that class in the future.
Attached are the protocols established by Zion’s Church for resuming in-person Sunday school. We took every effort to comply with all current CDC and state guidelines and create a safe environment; however, we are asking each family to read over the protocols to familiarize yourself with the procedures, prep your child with what changes to expect, and determine the right time for your family to return to Sunday school.
Special notes for middle school students:
- Middle school students will enter through the upper parking lot doors, walk through the back hallway, and down the stairs by the street. They will continue through the downstairs back hallway to their classroom.
- Twelve students can fit in the classroom and maintain 6 feet of social distancing. Once everyone is seated and class has begun, students will be permitted to remove their mask for the lesson at the discretion of the teacher. If more than 12 students are present, students will be required to wear their mask for the entire hour since socially distancing cannot be maintained. Masks are required at all times when moving in the building or classroom.
- To limit the amount of shared items, students are asked to bring their own Bibles (Bible apps are fine) and a pen or pencil. Bibles will still be available in the classroom for those who need them.
- Students leaving after Sunday school is over should promptly exit via the designated path in the fellowship hall and out the fellowship hall doors (these are exit only doors). They will rejoin the rest of their family outside.
- Students staying for the third worship service will be required to wait in the classroom until near the start of the service time. They will promptly proceed upstairs via the stairs by Randy’s office and join the line to enter the sanctuary. They will either join the rest of their family already sitting in the sanctuary or tell the usher how many family members will be joining them and wait for their family in the pew.
We have missed all of your children and look forward being together in person again when it is the right time for your family to return.
Jenn Scott, Sunday School Coordinator